10 Financial Resolutions You Can Actually Keep
If you want to get a handle on your finances in the coming year, why not start small with resolutions you can actually keep? Here are 10 easy to keep financial steps you can stick with all year long.
1. Track your spending. If you want to know where your money is going, resolve to download a smartphone app that tracks your spending. It won’t cost anything and it could save you a bundle.
2. Save 1% more of your pay. Instead of going from where you are to 15% or 20% of your pay, try adding 1% to your 401(k) plan contribution. Putting the extra money to work now will pay off big time later.
3. Negotiate one monthly bill. Trying to reduce all your bills at once can be a daunting task, so focus one just one. Whether it is the cable bill, your smartphone tab or something else, a successful negotiation will put more money in your pocket.
4. Bank your change. Place a jar by the front door and empty your pockets when you get home. Take that jar of change to the bank each month and deposit it for a painless way to save.
5. Up your interest rate. Your money should work as hard as you do, so make sure it does. Shopping around could net you a higher interest rate and more free money in the coming year.
6. Switch to LED light bulbs. Replacing your light bulbs with energy-saving LEDs could save you hundreds of dollars a year. You can save even more by turning the lights off each time you leave a room.
7. Adjust the thermostat. Heating and cooling your home can be a real money pit, so adjust the thermostat a few degrees to save some cash.
8. Institute a waiting period for major purchases. Before you make a big purchase, give yourself a cooling off period. You can also use this strategy for smaller items, helping you avoid impulse buys.
9. Take advantage of loyalty rewards. You shop at those stores anyway, so why not get paid for it? Store loyalty cards provide a host of benefits, from targeted coupons to ongoing money-saving offers.
10. Invest in an Unlimited Car Wash Plan at Speedwash Car Wash. If you’re still paying single wash prices, consider a monthly unlimited plan. These plans can start saving you serious money after just 2 and half washes per month. Better yet, your car will look super clean all the time. You can learn about plans by clicking here.The start of the new year is the perfect time to make some financial resolutions, but keeping those promises is even more important than making them. If you want to end the year in a better financial position than you started, keep your promises to yourself realistic and attainable.